Neighborhood Traffic Calming

Share this page:

Neighborhood Traffic Management Program

Are speeding, cut-through traffic, and/or traffic accidents a problem in your neighborhood?  The Neighborhood Traffic Management team can determine if a traffic study is needed. Your neighborhood may qualify if:

  • Traffic volumes exceed 45% of typical conditions on a particular residential street, and
  • Average travel speeds exceed 10 mph or more above the posted speed limit, and
  • The neighborhood street is NOT an arterial roadway. (See the Major Thoroughfare Plan if you are unsure.)  

To submit a traffic management request for your neighborhood, please submit a request via GoCOS!

If traffic issues are validated, there are several low-cost options for traffic calming:

Traffic Management Strategies

  • Entry/Neighborhood Features
  • Lane Narrowing
  • Roadway Diet
  • Traffic Control Signage
  • Chicanes
  • Traffic Circle/Roundabout
  • Roadway Dip(limited)
  • Geometric Changes to intersections

(*Note: Speed bumps/humps are no longer used per City Policy.)

CSPD Traffic Enforcement

Traffic Engineering cannot resolve issues with a small number of speeders, poor driving or noise complaints.

You may request neighborhood traffic enforcement. Contact the Colorado Springs Police Department at (719) 482-7143. Or fill out the online complaint form.

Leave the following information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Email address
  • The street(s) you are concerned about
  • Your specific traffic safety concerns
  • If there is a time of day the problem is worse, note that in your message.

The Police Department's traffic enforcement resources are very limited. Neighborhoods can opt to pay for police overtime for targeted enforcement.