Laterals and Recruits
The Colorado Springs Police Department is now using a continuous hiring model – hiring an academy every 15 weeks, starting with an academy in July 2023.
Each academy will have an Apply By date. You MUST apply by that date in order to be considered for the specific academy. The upcoming Apply By and Academy Dates are:
Apply By Date
Applications open on October 3rd, 2022!
- Applications are submitted electronically online. The computer automatically screens applications to see if an applicant meets minimum qualifications and determines eligibility, based on how the supplemental questions were answered. The supplemental questions are based on automatic disqualifiers.
- Applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be emailed the information to take the written examination. The written exam will be administered online and can be taken anywhere internet access is available.
- The written examination will be taken on a computer. Candidates will be notified if they pass the written examination within 48 hours. Candidates that pass the written examination (with a 69% or higher) will be invited to the oral interview. Oral interviews will be conducted online using video-based software. Candidates will have five (5) days to record and submit their video-based interviews.
- Immediately following the completion of the written exam and the interview candidates will be banded based on their total score. The total score consists of the candidate’s written test scores and oral interview scores. The written is worth 30% and the oral board is worth 70% of the total score.
- Candidates who score in Band A – D will be selected to continue to the initial candidate screening process. Candidates who place in these bands will be sent instructions on how to electronically submit a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ), an in-processing form, and any additional supporting documents for screening. Candidates will also be required to submit official transcripts for all colleges attended, Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) (if applicable), and copies of required personal documentation. Scores will be good for 12 months. Other Bands may be considered based on attrition and authorized strength needs. If your band is selected you will be notified.
- Candidates that do not score high enough to move forward to the screening process, can retest every six (6) months from the date their scores are banded. The most recent set of scores are the scores that will be maintained. You cannot combine scores from different testing processes.
- If after the screening a candidate meets minimum qualifications and does not have any disqualifying behaviors, a Conditional Offer of Employment is extended.
- After a Conditional Offer is extended, a background investigation will begin. Detailed information about what to expect and how to prepare for a CSPD background investigation can be found here (link to document CSPD Background Preparation Information)
- Applicants will be required to attend a mandatory meeting to take the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), the 16 PF exam, and be fingerprinted. Applicants will also self-schedule a Polygraph, a Psychological Interview, a medical evaluation, and a Physical Readiness Test (PRT).
- If an applicant completes these steps, their investigation is presented to a Selection Committee for review, and hiring decisions are made.
- If selected, applicants will be contacted personally by CSPD Human Resources and receive a final offer of employment Note: The hiring process is subject to change.
- Candidates that cannot attend the academy date offered can request one deferment to the next available academy.